The USATF Road 50 Kilometer National Team will compete at the 2019 International Association of Ultrarunners (IAU) 50 Kilometer World Championship under the patronage of the IAAF on September 1, 2019 in Brasov, Romania. Team USA will include up to six male and six female athletes. The Team (and alternates), and one Team Leader, and one Assistant Team Leader will be selected by the Executive Committee of the USATF Mountain Ultra, Trail Council.
Qualifying window: 3/1/2018- 6/09/2019
Team Selection: Monday and Tuesday, 6/10-11, 2019
Team Announced: Wednesday 6/12/2019
Standards for Consideration for the 2019 USATF Road 50 Kilometer National Team
To be considered for the USA 50 Kilometer National Team, runners must be citizens of the United States of America and be current USATF members, meet one of the following qualification standards, as well as other eligibility requirements.
- Automatic selection will be given to male and female athletes who finish in the top-10 at the previous year’s World Championship. (N/A for 2019 Championships)
- Automatic selection will be given to the first American Male and Female that meet standards for consideration (above) at the following races, provided minimum performance standards are met (see 4, below)
- 2019 Caumsett Park 50K (USATF National 50K Championship) March 3, 2019
- 2019 Mad City 50K, (Date TBD)
- Additional selections will be made based on resume prioritizing 50Km road, road marathon, and 50Km trail, respectively.
- Minimum qualifying performances for auto qualification and consideration
- Male- 50Km Road or Track- Sub 3:00:00, Marathon Road- Sub 2:22:00
- Female- 50Km Road or Track- Sub 3:33:00, Marathon Road- Sub 2:48:00
Alternates will be selected from pool of qualified athletes by the USATF Mountain, Ultra, and Trail Executive Committee
I) If the first American finisher in one of the qualifying races declines a position, it will be offered to the next highest finishing American finisher (and so on until filled) provided minimum qualification standards are met.
II) At large selections will be made by USATF Mountain, Ultra, and Trail Executive Committee.
III) One calendar month prior to the end of the qualification period, a message will be posted to the USATF- MUT Facebook page and other social media to call for those who have met any of the above standards to contact Team Leader, (TBD) to express their interest in Team membership. (As well, qualified athletes may contact Team Leader at any time they meet one of the qualifying standards) From the list compiled, the Team will be selected as stated above.
NOTE TO Athletes and RD’s:
1. Events suitable for qualifying must be USATF Certified for distance (or NGB)
2. Events must be USATF Sanctioned (USATF Rules upheld)– not limited to, but including 144.3 (Assistance To Athletes) and 163.6 (a) Leaving the Track, Field, or Course)
3. Qualifying Marks must take place in bona fide competitions (Refer to USATF Rule Book 262.3 (a) where “Qualifying” may interchange with “Record”).
**Please submit notification of athletes missed in this ranking list to email@example.com.. Include athlete name, race name, race date, and URL for race if possible.**