The United States 50 Kilometer National Team will compete at the 2017 International Association of Ultrarunners (IAU) 50 Kilometer World Championship under the patronage of the IAAF in 2017 in Doha, Qatar in November, 2017, with the exact date not released as of yet. The United States will be represented by a Team of up to six men and six women ultra marathon runners. The Team (and alternates), and One Team Leader, and One Assistant Team Leader will be selected by the USATF Mountain, Ultra, and Trail Executive Committee.
Qualifying window: 4/29/2016-7/30/2017
Team Selection: Monday and Tuesday, 7/31-8/1/2017
Team Announced: Wednesday 8/2/2017
Standards for Consideration for the 2017 U.S. National 50 Kilometer Team
To be considered for the USA 50 Kilometer National Team, runners must be citizens of the United States of America and be current USATF members and meet one of the following qualification standards.
- Automatic selection will be given to male and female athletes who finish in the top-10 at the previous year’s World Championship.
- Automatic selection will be given to the first American Male and Female that meet standards for consideration (above) at the following races, provided minimum performance standards are met (see 4, below)
- 2017 Caumsett Park 50K (USATF National 50K Championship) March 5, 2017
- 2017 Mad City 50K, April 8, 2017
- Additional selections will be made based on resume prioritizing 50Km road, road marathon, and 50Km trail, respectively.
- Minimum qualifying performances for auto qualification and consideration
- Male- 50Km Road or Track- Sub 3:00:00, Marathon Road- Sub 2:22:00
- Female- 50Km Road or Track- Sub 3:33:00, Marathon Road- Sub 2:48:00
- Alternates will be selected from pool of qualified athletes by the USATF Mountain, Ultra, and Trail Executive Committee
I) If the first American finisher in one of the qualifying races declines a position, it will be offered to the next highest finishing American finisher (and so on until filled) provided minimum qualification standards are met.
II) At large selections will be made by USATF Mountain, Ultra, and Trail Executive Committee.
III) One calendar month prior to the end of the qualification period, a message will be posted to the USATF- MUT Facebook page and other social media to call for those who have met any of the above standards to contact Team Leader, Susan Dun (email@example.com) to express their interest in Team membership. (As well, qualified athletes may contact Susan Dun at any time they meet one of the qualifying standards) From the list compiled, the Team will be selected as stated above.
List of Current Qualifiers (as of 1/27/2017) To see the most current updates to the Current Qualifiers, please go to:
1) Heather Tanner 4th, 3:29:01 2016 IAU World 50Km Championship, Doha, Qatar, 11/11/2016 (AUTO)
2) Caitlin Smith 3:34:22 6th, 2016 IAU World 50Km Championship, Doha, Qatar, 11/11/2016 (AUTO)
3) Adrian Chouinard 10th, 3:36:37, 2016 IAU World 50Km Championship, Doha, Qatar, 11/11/2016 (AUTO)
1) Tony Migliozzi 2:54:02 1st, 2016 IAU World 50Km Championship, Doha, Qatar, 11/11/2016 (AUTO)
2) Tyler Andrews 2:56:04 2nd, 2016 IAU World 50Km Championship, Doha, Qatar, 11/11/2016 (AUTO)
3) Bryan Morsemen 3:06:33 9th, 2016 IAU World 50Km Championship, Doha, Qatar, 11/11/2016 (AUTO)
**Please submit notification of athletes missed in this ranking list to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include athlete name, race name, race date, and URL for race if possible.**